Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Viral Load bounce

I was recently diagnosed with HIV back in February, which i am handling ok. When i was first diagnosed my CD4 count was at 189 & viral load at 255000.I am on the medication and all is going well i think, my CD4 count was at 340 & viral load at 1850 last month.This month however my CD4 is up again to 390 but my viral load has gone up to 2287, is that anything to be worried about?

Response from Dr. Moyle

Normally, the viral load falls in a bi-modal manner; a sharp fall in the first month, as you have had, then a more gradual decline over the subsequent 3-5 months until <50 or undetectable is reached. Normlly this slow decline is linear but of course the viral load test has some variation to its accuracy, generally quoted at 0.3log. You VL values in a logarithmic scale are 3.26 and 3.36log, so within test variation. This would suggest nothing to be concerned about. It is certainly worth having a further VL in a few weeks to confirm you are back on a downward slope. It is also worth reviewing your pre-treatment resistance test and HIV acquisition history with your provider to be happy that there is no risk of a transmitted virus that is resistant to a component of your regimen. Hope this helps Best Wishes Dr Moyle

skin problem
bone loss due to hiv !!!