Aging With HIVAging With HIV

12yrs same meds

Antivirals ( Combivir & Viramune ) What physical complications will I have after such a long time w/the same 2 meds? I've had the virus for 25 yrs & I'm also concerned w/my memory & mental abilities. Should I be concerned w/HIV Dementia, bones & vital organs? I'm still working & seem to be making many mistakes. My brother is a Dr. & access to certain treatments or reputable direction is obtainable. Please advise & Thank You for your effort.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Both Combivir components and nevirapine (Viramune) penetrate the brain and should help protect against HIV-related brain disease. AZT (part of Combivir) is most well proven to do this and HIV dementia is now rare. Given that you are doing well on these drugs there seems little reason to change; if there is no fat loss after 12 years of using AZT I suspect you won't see it. Your combination has not raised safety signals about other problems with bones, kidneys or heart. There are lots of other reasons for forgetfulness: stress, poor sleep, alcohol, recreational drugs and significant life events, to name a few. As we get older I get the impression that we become more vigilant about memory lapses and forget how forgetful we were when younger! Some psychologists specialise in psychometric testing and can assess you memory and cognitive skills for you. It sounds like it is worthwhile to put you mind to rest to arrange a referral. Best Regards, Dr Moyle

why has hiv not been cured ???
is h.i.v curable?