Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

More shingles vaccine questions
Jul 17, 2008

I read your recent answer on this topic and have the following questions, first, if you were vaccinated against chickenpox (I was vaccinated in 1999) should you still get the shingles vaccine? Second, for how long should I stop using my Valtrex before I can take the shingles vaccine? I am in my mid forties and asymptomatic, with 19% percentage.

Response from Dr. Moyle

The shingle vaccine, Zostavax, is approved for use in people 60 years old and older to prevent shingles. This is a one-time vaccination. Zostavax does not treat shingles or post-herpetic neuralgia. It has not been fully studied in persons with HIV. Some data exist, mainly in children, indicating that the Varicella vaccine (Varivax) cab be used in prsons with HIV and healthy immune systems. It is indicated for persons with no history of childhood chicken pox and provided prolonged prtection. The zoster vaccine package insert makes no reference to varicella history, and almost all persons 60 years old or older are immune to varicella. Thus, prior vaccination with Varivax is not an obstacle to Zostavax receipt. Although guidance is vague, the use of valtex should stop about a week before Zostavax and can recommence 3 weeks later. regards DR Moyle

Previous
No treatment
Next
why has hiv not been cured ???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.