Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Marriage with positive girl

Hello, I am positive for the last 10 years and on Atripla for the last 18 months. My CD4 is 400 and undetectable VL. I met a girl who is also Positive for 10 Yrs also on Atripla for the last few months. Is there any danger having unprotected sex? Is it posible to have a negative and healthy baby?. I am healthy working full time and she is also health and working full-time. When I say Healthy, it means other than being POS we don't have major health issue. Hopefully, We will get married soon and want to have a baby. What should be our health concern for the baby and for us having unprotected sex THANKS

Response from Dr. Moyle

It is certainly possible to have an HIV negative child when both partners are HIV+. Your partner is on Atripla, and efavirenz, a component of Atripla is best avoided in pregnancy. Once you are clear you wish to conceive together, talk to your doctor about her modifying treatment to a regimen suitable for conceiving. Once the efavirenz is out of her body (say 1 month) you can start trying. Transmission between partners of different strains of HIV is a further issue. Some authorities, most notably the Swiss, have suggested that if the viral load is undetectable <50, then tansmission risk is eliminated. Your doctor will be able to further guide you on the safest way to conceive Best Wishes Dr Moyle

kevin trudeau
myself and my girl want to have a negative baby