Aging With HIVAging With HIV

CD 4 Count Drops

Hi-My question is i started meds about a month ago and things were looking up. i was at 89 (CD4 Count) and 18%. i had some blood work done on the 8th of May and my CD4 count dropped to 89 and my percentage dropped from 18% to 16%. What does this mean? My viral load results have not come back yet, but i am really affraid right now. Can you give me some insight into this? Thanks

Response from Dr. Moyle

The HIV drugs are antivirals so its change in iral Load that counts. CD4 is subject to all sorts of variation related to smaple handling, time of day, recent activity, recent infections and vaccinations plus a natural 25% variation day to day. Not everyone sees and imediate rise in CD4 especially, like you when there is a low white cell count (reflected in the low CD4 but OK %). Juts keep taking the medications, watching the viral load and at some point the CD4s will start to rise

Best Wishes Dr Moyle

Triglycerides
HIV and rheumatoid arthritis