Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Does it depend on time with virus?

I was diagnosed hiv at 20, yearslater hep c but I had it since 18 too. 43 now and last year got rid of hvc, but I have always thought that life expectancy depended on years you had the desease. Do you not think a person that contracted it with 35, has better chances of reaching 80 than me who has lived coinfected over 20 years already, and now with hiv. I started taking meds at 22, azt, and have never gone under 500 cd4, except when I took hvc treatment. My liver is so and so, no cirrosis yet. Thank you for your attention.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Its hard to predict life expectancy for any individual, doctors aren't good at play in God! Clearing the HCV is a great step forward for you long term helth and should help prevent any further liver scarring. Your CD4 numbers have always been good too and it sounds like you are a good tablet taker and are doing well with HIV meds.

I have attached a URL for some published data on age and life expectancy. In the Danish cohort survival with HIV has been getting closer and closer to normal even for people who became infected quite young. So I think you should continue to plan for a long and healthy life....I can't say you'll make 80 but if you parents did then you too have a pretty good chance

Best of luck

Dr Moyle

Loss of body fat, especially under the skin
Ziagen and MI