Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Can I expect the same complications of a regular person while aging?

Dear Dr. Moyle,

I have been reading and trying to gain knowledge about what to expect as I get older. I am 21 years of age. I was tested November of last year and in the following month since my CD4 count came out low ((CD4 210) and (Viral load at 79,600)) and shortly after I started taking meds. I often wondered what to expect. I been trying to figure out what exactly am I looking at as while I get older? Am I going to have the same complications as any older person as they get old? or will I have it more severe? A couple of medical problems run in my family and I've discussed some of it with my doctor, but he didn't seemed too worried at the present time. Should I reintroduce these questions to my doctor to see where I go from there? i.e. high blood pressure. As someone as young as I am, I'm trying to take it one day at a time, but often wondered what I should expect. Any and all advise would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

LEM

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear LEM,

Most likely the answer is yes, you will age in a fairly normal way. Immune deficiency (low CD4s) is associated with accelerated aging and some effects of HIV and some medications may make some common problems of aging occur more often or prematurely, so it's worth encouraging your doctor to monitor things like blood pressure, paying special attention to things that run in the family, and to look after your self with good diet and regular exercise, etc.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Moyle

HIV and HEP C
New Diagnosis, Extremely Low CD4 count