Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Anal cancer risk factors

I was recently diagnosed with anal cancer. I'm curious which risk factor was more important: the fact that I have HIV or that I'm over 50? (I know that being a gay man who had anal sex certainly played a role!)

Response from Dr. Moyle

I am sorry to hear about that. The main risk factors for anal cancer with HIV are low CD4, smoking and type and number of human papilloma viris strains you are carrying (the more partners you have the more of these you get). Most cancer become more common as you get older. So there is no one factor. Best of luck with the treatment Kind regards Graeme Moyle

Do experts really know, yet?
HIV and HEP C