Aging With HIVAging With HIV

HIV Depression

I turned HIV postive at age 50. I am now 57 and depression keeps increasing - - - even though I have therapy and medication. Sometimes I want to stop my AIDS medication to end it.

Is this natural?

Response from Dr. Moyle

Any chronic illness, such as HIV, can be a drag on mental health. This can be made worse by social isolation, financial concerns and stigma attached to HIV. It's also worthwhile checking with your provider that your HIV meds are not contributing (unlikely) or that they may be making your antidepressants work less well (quite possible). It sounds like you've done a great job living with HIV for 7 years and taking your meds reliably. It's natural to feel like giving up sometimes but in my experience, its something quickly regreted and folks soon realise how much there is to live for. It's well worth keeping on. Talk to your provider about your cocerns so you can work together to share the burden of your worries Take care Graeme Moyle

Is lap bandind an option for a person with HIV?
young and living with hiv