Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Is lap bandind an option for a person with HIV?

I am a 44y/o poz F. I have been poz for 13 years. My CD4 is 1300 and v/l is undetedtible. My weight is 215 and I am 5'4. I have tried all types of diets and of course the have not been successful.I realize I am not morbidly obese, but I know of a surgeon who is performing lap banding or gastric banding on people my size. I have not mentioned my HIV status yet to this physician. My question is...is there any contraindications in having a lap banding as an HIV positive person? I guess my main concern is the absorption of my present medication which is Kaletra. What do studies show? Do you know of any physicians performing lap banding on persons with HIV? Thanks you for your time.

Response from Dr. Moyle

There are no contraindications to the procedure. I have seen several people with HIV who have done very well following Gastic banding Good luck Graeme Moyle

CD4 drop with meds
HIV Depression