The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

will the new drugs work as well in older people as younger?
Apr 6, 2008

Im 58 and Ive had HIV longer than anyone I know, at least 23 years. Ive developed resistance to everything Ive taken so far. My doctor wants to me to try some of the new drugs just approved in the last year, selsentry or isentris or something. Is there a good chance these drugs will be effective for me, even though I've been around the block so many times?

Response from Dr. Moyle

There are several new drugs for people with resistant virus, including Selzentry (a CCR5 blocker), Isentress (integrase inhibitor) and intelence (a new NNRTI). These drugs may well work for you and will work best if all combined together, typically with a boosted protease inhibitor such as darunavir. Several tests need to be done to determine if each drug is active against your virus. A resistance test (and review of old resistance tests) to determine which PI is best, whether intelence will be active and if any nucs are still active, and a tropism test to determine of Selzentry is active. It generally takes about a month to get these results back. My general view is that you should aim to take as many of these drugs as is active (which could be all 4) to give the best chance of success. One general comment is that all thses drugs are pretty well tolerated, Selzentry and Isentress looked little different to dummy pills in their main studies, so each extra med is likely to increase the chance of success without adding side effects. The drugs should all work well regardless of your age, its the taking them reliably that counts.

Will I live as long as my parents did?
How is HIV different in older people?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint