Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Will I live as long as my parents did?

Im 59. Both my parents lived into their mid 90s, and I always figured I would too, but at 46 I tested positive for HIV. Ive been on treatment since 1998, and my viral load has been nondetectable since '06. I feel really healthy now, so its really dispiriting when I remember that I have this disease and start thinking Ill never have the life span my parents did. Is there a cap on how long people with HIV can live, or is it still possible Ill live as long as them?

Response from Dr. Moyle

Recent studies done on predicting survival of perons with HIV suggest near normal life expectancies. This seems particularly true of you are free from hepatitis. With treatments for HIV improving, expanding, becoming easier to take, more tolerable and more forgiving the future looks bright. With you lucky genes for longevity you can't just rest on your laurels. Your HIV care needs to be appropriately tailored to your needs, you need to do your very best to 100% adhere to it over the next 50+ years and of course you need to look after your general health. That includes (plenty of) safe sex to avoid getting extra infections, appropriate vaccinations, not smoking and taking a mediterranean diet and plenty of exercise. I am sure you will see plenty of changes in the management of HIV over those next 50 years, but we can be confident that those will be developemnts that makes life for people with HIV longer, safer and better. So put aside those worries and start enjoying those many years ahead

Alzheimer's or Dementia?
will the new drugs work as well in older people as younger?