Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Aging With HIVAging With HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

menopause???
Oct 18, 2006

Hello

I was diagnosed in March after a bout of pcp. I also found out I had herpes. 3 months before I had ongoing gyne problems which no one could get to the bottom of (pardon the pun!). I experienced a bout of continuous menstruation ( 2months) followed by 2 months with no bleeding. I then had a light menstruation in July and since then nothing. I also lost a lot of hair and went from 65kg to 52kg. At admission to hospital my counts were CD4 112 & VL 98,000. I am now on Ritonavir, Saquinavir and Truvada since May 2006. I am on acyclovir due to lots of bouts of herpes.My counts were in August were CD4 391 & VL 198 - which I am very pleased about. I am 47. I am in the menopause? I don't have any other symptoms other than my periods have stopped. No moods/ sweating/ flushed. My hair is growing back and my weight is back to 65kg. I have always had a healthly life style (food, excercise, sleep, friends and family, good job). Directly before my diagnoisis I was on accutane for acne for 6 months low dose of 40mg. And depo injection for contraceptive reasons due to the medication. My husband and I didn't use any contraceptive for 5 years prior to this.

I am I in the menopause or is my body still repairing? I am aware that it is at this time in my life and it is possible, but I don't feel any different.

Thank you for being here for us and for taking tme to reply.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While it is certainly possible that you are entering menopause, it is also possible that the abnormal periods followed by the amenorrhea (lack of menstrual periods) are related to your acute illness and weight loss. You don't mention whether you have discussed this with your care provider but it would be important for you to do so; he/she may be able to do some testing to help you to understand what is happening. Please also remember that if you haven't completed menopause that it may still be possible for you to become pregnant.

Previous
precautions need relatives living in same family from hiv person
Next
want a baby

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.