Aging With HIVAging With HIV

menopause???

Hello

I was diagnosed in March after a bout of pcp. I also found out I had herpes. 3 months before I had ongoing gyne problems which no one could get to the bottom of (pardon the pun!). I experienced a bout of continuous menstruation ( 2months) followed by 2 months with no bleeding. I then had a light menstruation in July and since then nothing. I also lost a lot of hair and went from 65kg to 52kg. At admission to hospital my counts were CD4 112 & VL 98,000. I am now on Ritonavir, Saquinavir and Truvada since May 2006. I am on acyclovir due to lots of bouts of herpes.My counts were in August were CD4 391 & VL 198 - which I am very pleased about. I am 47. I am in the menopause? I don't have any other symptoms other than my periods have stopped. No moods/ sweating/ flushed. My hair is growing back and my weight is back to 65kg. I have always had a healthly life style (food, excercise, sleep, friends and family, good job). Directly before my diagnoisis I was on accutane for acne for 6 months low dose of 40mg. And depo injection for contraceptive reasons due to the medication. My husband and I didn't use any contraceptive for 5 years prior to this.

I am I in the menopause or is my body still repairing? I am aware that it is at this time in my life and it is possible, but I don't feel any different.

Thank you for being here for us and for taking tme to reply.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While it is certainly possible that you are entering menopause, it is also possible that the abnormal periods followed by the amenorrhea (lack of menstrual periods) are related to your acute illness and weight loss. You don't mention whether you have discussed this with your care provider but it would be important for you to do so; he/she may be able to do some testing to help you to understand what is happening. Please also remember that if you haven't completed menopause that it may still be possible for you to become pregnant.

precautions need relatives living in same family from hiv person
want a baby