Aging With HIVAging With HIV

HIV meds causing CAD

I am a 54 yr old physician who has been taking hiv meds since1992. I had my 1st stentplace 1996, 2nd stentRt. Artery 9/05 and now my 3rd stent8/06in left. I would like to know if my CAD are caused by the side effects of theses medication and what can I do to help this problem. I was taking reyataz pior but had multiple episodes of kidney stones and lab report of stone was reyataz metabolite 100%. I am Now on Norivir, lexiva, truveda. please help

There does seem to be a subset of patients who are extra-ordinarily sensitive to the lipid/cardiac effects of particular HIV medications-your current regimen would be expected to have modest cardiac effects due to the ritonavir in particular. Viramune is the most cardiac friendly of the NNRTIs or PIs if that is an option for you. Thanks for letting me know about the atazanavir stone-wow! I have seen several patients (and reported in literature) with almost malignant atherosclerosis from their HIV/meds. Aggressive diet/exercise/statins/diabetes treatment has helped some patients. KH

long term calf pain
weight loss