Aging With HIVAging With HIV

menopause and HCV

Hi

I was diagnosed in 2001 with HCV. I am 46 years old and asymptomatic. I have been seen by a nurse practitioner for the past several years at the local Family Planning Clinic for all my well women check ups due to no insurance. I like the nurse and she seems knowledgeable. I haven't had a period in 18 months and she says that I am menopausal. My question is, can HCV cause a woman to go into early menopause? I don't really have money to do all the testing and I've been told by several people that harmones flutctuate so much throughout the day that the tests may be inaccurate. My only complaint with the menopause is the hotflashes. My fear is that it's not hot flashes and that it's sweats caused by the virus. Can you please give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated?

CM

I do not know of any information which suggests that HCV can be associated with early menopause.

I would suggest evaluation and management of your hepatitis C though including checking for virus in your blood. If present you should have a liver biopsy regardless of whether your liver tests are abnormal or not. Dr. McGovern

PS to my followup
Please Help, very Scared.